Skip navigation

Buying Flood Insurance

Your insurance agent is the best source of flood insurance information. You can learn more about this important topic at

policy picture

Understand that homeowners insurance does not cover flooding. Because of this, your lender is required to determine if you need to buy a separate flood policy. A mortgage lender has the authority to select flood insurance on behalf of the borrower and add the cost to their monthly payment. However, a borrower typically has the option to purchase flood insurance on their own.

If you are interested in learning more about flood insurance, or purchasing flood insurance, we encourage you to contact your insurance agent.

2012 Flood Insurance Reform Act Policy Changes

In 2012, Congress passed and the President signed the Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act. The law extended the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) for five years, and calls on the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and other agencies to make a number of changes to the way in which the National Flood Insurance Program operates. Some of the required changes have occurred already, while others will be implemented in the coming months and over time. Read more about the timeline for NFIP rate changes.

Return to homepage:

Printable Resources

The Summary of Coverage document below explains the different types of flood insurance coverage and their limitations.



Getting to Know Flood Reform
This video presents an overview of the Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012 (BW12).

Letter of Map Change  (LOMC)