Skip navigation

Reporting problems

How do I report a pothole?
Have an accurate description of the location (exact address or nearest intersection), then fill out our pothole reporting form. Only report potholes located on City of Fargo streets. Interstates and their on/off ramps and overpasses are maintained by the North Dakota Department of Transportation (DOT). Report interstate-related problems to the DOT at 239-8900. If you have any questions, call the Street Department at 241-1453.

How do I report a water main break?
Water bubbling up in the street may be due to a water main failure. On weekdays, report to Fargo Mains and Hydrants at 241-1453; after hours and on weekends, call 241-1469 for on-call personnel.

How do I report sewer backup?
Sewer trouble should be reported to the Fargo Street Department to make sure there are no problems with the city line. On weekdays, call 241-1453; after hours, call 235-4493 for on-call personnel.

How do I report a street light that is in need of repair?
You can either report a malfunctioning street light online through our Street Light maintenance request form, or you can call (701) 476-6659 and leave a message regarding the  the problem.

How do I report a problem with a traffic signal? Please call the city's Traffic Engineering Department at (701) 241-1545 or e-mail us at

How do I report damage due to snow removal?
Sod, mailbox or other property damage caused during snow removal operations should be reported to the Fargo Street Department at 241-1453 or e-mail

How do I report a sidewalk that has not been maintained for snow removal?
To report a problem property where snow is not being removed as required by the regulations, send an e-mail detailing the location to or call 241-1453.

How do I get my water shut-off raised or lowered?
The Watermains & Hydrants Department prefers the water shut-off (also called curb stop or stop box)  be at ground level or 1 to 2 inches below.  To have the shut-off raised or lowered, call 241-1453.

How do I get graffiti removed from public property and business areas?
Use the police department's Graffiti Hotline to report graffiti anytime. Call 476-4111 and leave a message describing where the graffiti is, what it looks like, and if it's on public or private property.  If you're the owner of the property, let us know how we can reach you, so we can have you fill out a release form allowing us to remove the graffiti.   

If your particular problem does not appear here, you can also try our page of common neighborhood problems.

How do I deal with a loud vehicle in my neighborhood?
Call the police department’s non-emergency number at 235-4493 and ask to make a complaint against the vehicle owner. When a complaint is received, an officer will try to contact the registered owner of the vehicle and investigate the noise violation. You may need to to testify in court if you would like to go through with the complaint, since the violation didn’t occur in the presence of the officer. However, often having an officer speaking to the owner will be enough to get the problem corrected. City ordinance 8-0908 deals specifically with loud vehicles.